Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hill Air Force Base

We have lived in Utah for 4 years and I thought it was finally time to check out some of the local faire. So we picked the muggiest day to head up to Hill Air Force base and check out the cool "FREE" museum. I have to say, I was quite impressed. They have an airplane graveyard outside and then a ton of planes, rockets, helicopters and other flying stuff inside. The museum isn't aired conditioned but they do try to keep it cool with portable fans. Since it was a really muggy day by Utah standards, it just made us feel yucky. Jackson even said his hands felt sticky. So we learned a ton about planes and pilots and stuff. They had a display honoring Col. Halvorson who dropped candy parachutes to the kids in Berlin during WWII, and even a restored Presidential jet that JFK and President Johnson used. I was in awe at the size of the tires, the bombs, and the rockets. We had a great time with the kids and only one temper tantrum. (Apparently, Shane was BORED!) It was great to venture out to see Utah.



1 comment:

Lars said...

Aren't you SO glad they didn't cover everything in that camo netting...'cause then you wouldn't have been able to "see" anything.

ha ha

That was just such a Ft. R memory.

Sounds great. We still need to go there one day.